George Fellowes Prynne

 

introduction | work | screens | biography | sharville.org.uk

 

WEYMOUTH Dorset
St. Paul, Westham

A brief description of this church is given in a guide book of some years ago:

The plan is simple and convenient in form and consists of a nave 82 feet in length and 24 feet in width. The chancel is 35 feet long and 22 feet wide. On the north side of the nave there is an aisle, vestries and organ chamber. On the south side of the nave a double transept is thrown out, occupying two bays of the nave. On the south side of the chancel is placed an apsidal ended Chapel with a small aisle. The main feature of the church is perhaps the simple dignity of effect and proportion inside. The church is constructed of Portland stone with Bath dressings.

Later additions by Fellowes Prynne are a chapel in 1903, a baptistery in 1913, and altar and gradine in 1922, and a War memorial and reredos 1922-6. The illustration shows a postcard, sent in 1910, of the interior.

The windows, all designed by the architect, are of particular beauty of design and colour. All the small windows depict various saints and characters from the Bible. The great east window, placed as a thank offering after the First World War, shows the Church Triumphant adoring Our Lord. The lights are filled with images of angels and specific saints, including the churchís patron, Saint Paul. The colours of the glass are stunning, especially the predominant blues and mauves, including a violet-coloured sky.

The west window depicts Christís ascension. Of the smaller windows, a particularly beautiful example is that of St. Gabriel. His robes are rich in colour and texture, whilst his face is serenely engrossed in his holy book. The window was installed in memory of a young man who died in 1920. It was fashioned by Percy Bacon Brothers of London.

The photograph on the right shows a detail of the tabernacle, part of the altar, where the reserved sacrament is kept.

The undated vintage postcard shows the exterior.