This project was virtually a complete rebuild of an existing structure.
Externally, the building has the completed tower with copper spire (resembling
Staines and Kea). Internally, there are many features typical of the architect,
including an apsidal Lady chapel, stone pillars, stone-faced arches and, most
notably, a stone rood screen. An unusual feature is the shape and decoration of
the pillars. Although essentially octagonal in cross section, which is not
unusual, each face is indented by a pair of shallow grooves, which meet in the
middle along a slight ridge, and leave the corners emphasised. The corners are
rounded. The effect is further enhanced by decorative motifs just below the more
orthodox octagonal capitals. This kind of ornamentation has not been found
anywhere else, and it is possible that it relates to the former building in some
way. At the entrance to the chancel there is not the usual wall, but a wrought
iron screen which, like the stone screen, rests on the floor.
The unused postcard of the interior clearly shows the
stone screen and unusual pillars.
The Lady chapel is reached via an arch in the sanctuary, which itself was
re-roofed and given a new platform for the altar. The chapel has a turquoise
mosaic floor, and a marble altar similar to that at Benenden and
Sources show that the firm of Blomfield (Arthur W.) & Sons were also involved
here, having drawn up the initial plans, with four members of the family
involved along with Fellowes Prynne as professional consultants. Fellowes Prynne
drew final plans. [Who has been shown as doing what here will warrant further
The lych gate was designed in 1925.