George Fellowes Prynne

 

introduction | work | screens | biography | sharville.org.uk

 

SOUTH TAWTON Devon
St. Andrew

The bays are very lofty with slender spiral mullions; the tops of the lights are filled with fine tracery with pierced spandrels and set in a rectangular frame. The cornice has a double row of fruit and leaves surmounted by a cresting. The screen encloses the chancel and chapels, but is not continuous, being fitted between the piers of the nave. In the centre stands a floriated cross, with pedestals for figures on each side, but the figures are wanting; probably the designer of the screen contemplated their being present, for the cross itself adds to the height of the screen, whereas the addition of figures would make the screen appear broader.

This description of Fellowes Prynne’s design, for which he would indeed have contemplated figures being present, was quoted in the guide book of 1966. It is not known from which source the original quotation comes.

The faculty petition quoted a price for the vestry of £500. The bills totalled £1750!

For the general restoration, stonework, battlements, etc. repointed; aisle walls replastered; altar rails rearranged; new gate from farm to churchyard; new clock face; alterations to porch; new altar, organ case and parclose screens; new tower; War memorial; lych gate; heating chamber.

There are records indicating that Fellowes Prynne paid 16 visits to the church to supervise the work.