New nave consecrated 1893, built on to existing chancel, which itself shows
two phases of building. Perhaps Fellowes Prynne replaced some of the stone in
the chancel to provide continuity, but other than that it appears that the nave
was all he was involved with. It is the typical “barn” with the usual barrel
roof. The arches, furniture, flooring and overall layout are standard.
Externally, the whole has been re-faced in stone, so that the join between the
nave and the earlier chancel cannot be detected. A tower and stone spire were
planned but never built.
The unused postcard illustrated clearly shows the
chancel and sanctuary of this church, on to which Fellowes Prynne built the
nave. As with St Peter's Plymouth, the
existing sanctuary was far smaller, particularly in regard to height, than
Fellowes Prynne would himself have designed.