According to a brochure produced in 1905 to set up an appeal to fund the new
building, the chancel, chapel and vestries were estimated to cost £2,800, the
next section including nave and transepts £3,200, and the west end £4,165. Add
to this the cost of the tower at £1,000, and you have a total cost for the
building of some £12,000. The building would hold a congregation of up to 1,000.
Many typical Prynne features are here. Red brick/white stone of walls is
both structural and decorative. It is a large enclosed space with Early English
style arches, again using contrasting brick and stone to colourful effect.
Chancel walls, but no screen, though hanging rood was intended judging from
illustration in Examples of Modern Architects. (Compare
St. Bartholemew, Battersea.) Furniture
and dado surrounding pillars is stained green, a detail rarely retained these
days, but clearly the architect’s intention. (See notes on
St. Saviour, Ealing.)
Lady chapel altar rails added in 1920s at a cost of £32.
The architect’s son, Norman, is remembered in a sedilia-style War memorial
in the Lady chapel, as an old boy of Holy Rood School. (This memorial is not by
Incidentally, Pevsner, rarely easy to please when it came to Fellowes
Prynne's work, described this building as hard and heartless also...
Unfinished: no loss.
The card showing the exterior of the
church was never posted, but is clearly not of the twenty-first century! Life
was different then... The card of the interior, also not sent, is almost
certainly from about the time of the consecration.
The photos – a little grainy, for which apologies – show the unusual
green-tinted stall and pillar surrounds, the unusual stone pulpit and the
classic Fellowes Prynne Lady chapel.